Ends Wednesday, June 30th, 2021 at 5:00 PM
Total Donation Goal $33,670 $750.00 Funded
This campaign still needs $32,920.04 within 5 months!
About this Campaign
Stephen Girard Elementary is a K-4 school in the West Passyunk section of South Philadelphia. Our school is racially and ethnically diverse and serves 400 students. Please consider a gift towards our library. No amount is too small or too large, and the result will be priceless.
Imagine a kindergarten student checking out picture books to read on the weekend. Picture a group of 2nd grade students enjoying story time while sitting on adjustable seating on a beautifully designed carpet. Imagine a 3rd grade student having the opportunity to choose a book with subject matter that the child can relate to and that is culturally relevant. Envision an entire class of 4th grade students excited about sharing their love of reading with younger students, and entering middle school as avid and proficient readers.
Our current library does not meet the needs of our students. The shortcomings include:
- A lack of comfortable reading areas
- A collection with many outdated or culturally insensitive books
- Signing out books by hand and tracking materials with paper and pencil
Our library makeover will provide:
- New furniture and carpeting for a reading nook
- Current and relevant books for our students in grades K-4
- A computer and software for cataloging and checking out books